Monday, May 21, 2012

And so it began... PT1

I was at lunch with my mom quite a few months ago, before ms was even a word in my vocabulary. I was trying to explain to her how something was wrong with me, but without a fever, runny nose or any other sign of sickness she only saw her very healthy and over dramatic daughter sitting across from her. I couldn't explain what was wrong with me I just knew something wasn't right. Unfortunately I had no insurance and my money tree just wasn't growing so there wasn't much I could do about it. I knew my coordination wasn't as good as it used to be, I would constantly trip and fall for no reason. My legs would always feel restless at night. I was also developing a sensitivity in my legs to cold temperatures. As well as vertigo.

I had had quite a few falls during this time and the coming months, I usually tripped over my own feet, or my knee would give out on me for no reason. My left foot wouldn't always move when I wanted it to move. I was scared to even attempt running or jumping of any kind. Then I was sitting in a meeting in February when I noticed my left hand was tingling a little. It was like when your hand falls a sleep and you have to wake it up, however no matter how much a rubbed it and shook it it would not stop. Throughout the next month the numbness had worked it's way up my arm down my side, leg, and into my foot. It seemed the more I tingled the weaker I got. Work was becoming more and more difficult, as was just getting around. By March I had not gotten any better and my mom encouraged me to cal my doctor. When asked why I needed the appointment I explained what was going on and was told to hang up the phone, go immediately to the E.R. do not wait. So naturally I waited until the next morning to go in.

During the 7 hours I was there, the hospital ran a series of tests including a CT Scan, and blood work. All my tests were coming back normal and I was starting to get frustrated thinking I wasted a whole day, missed work, and will have to pay out a ton of money to still know nothing, when my Brain MRI results came back. The doctor came in and said there were white spots in my brain then walked out. I was left very confused and very angry. She later came back to further explain that I probably either had MS, Lyme Disease, or this may just be normal for me. I asked her where the spots were exactly and reverted to doctor talk and I didn't understand a word she said. We left the ER that day with a lot of confusion and a referral to see a neurologist.


This was the beginning for me.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment