Monday, June 18, 2012

I climbed my mountain!

I am a very stubborn person! Whether or not that is a good thing i don't know, but i am a very stubborn person. Do not tell me i can't do something cause i may just kill myself trying to do it.

I was recently told i could not go on a 3.4 mile hike near Encampment Wyoming. it would be too hard and too long for me. I know the person telling me this was trying to help, but all it did was make me mad at said person and not let anything stop me from doing the hike. i felt the person should of been more supportive and less negative. MS does not mean i can't accomplish things, It just means i may need more time and assistance to complete it. Whether it's climbing a mountain or just doing the laundry, i can do it!

I had my mind made up. I was going before i even knew i had someone to take me. So come Hike Day, we got our lunches ready, water packed and headed out to the Green Mountain Falls. My dad, Mr. Wonderful, and I started up the trail and everything was going good. I had found myself a walking stick and most of the trail was shaded. The problem was the trail was made up of steep inclines and declines as well as covered with rocks and roots to climb over. The further into the national forest we got the slower i got. A hike that usually takes an hour to complete took us 2 and a half hours. I had to take several breaks along the way, more then i anticipated at least. There were even several points I worried, if I couldn't move any further, what would the plan be to get me off the mountain. Several times i thought about giving up, or regretting my decision to go, but the thought of letting MS win, and proving the person wrong motivated me to keep going. The last portion before the top of the hike I almost gave up. I was so hot and tired and in pain i just wanted to sit down an cry. Thankfully Mr. Wonderful was their to help me.

 I would not of been able to complete even a portion of this hike with out the help from Mr. Wonderful. He kept me from falling on several occasions and kept encouraging me to keep going when he could tell i was getting to my breaking points, as well as forcing me to take regular breaks; And my dad, I wonderful trail guide!

We finally made it to the top and found a place to eat our sandwiches and watch the rushing river. I felt so accomplished. Unfortunately, the waterfall was not as big and beautiful as it had been in the past, which was disappointing, and I will probably never do this hike again! I'm glad I went. I had to do it for me.

Now all we had to do was get back down the mountain and go home! Today (the day after) I am dealing with what I like to call an MS Hangover. I feel very imbalanced, like i haven't slept in week; even though i slept all night and most of today, and i have been dealing with headaches off and on all day. Even though I feel pretty crummy today I would not change yesterday for the world. Except for maybe the person who told me i couldn't do it being there and seeing it. ;)

Me at the top of the mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment